RE: how to use already existing .d files

From: Swapna Pawar
Subject: RE: how to use already existing .d files
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 09:48:14 +0000

Hi,

>>Without a complete and reproducible example, I don't see how you can be
>>helped by others then.
We have attached one example with makefiles along with the sample .c file and
.h files.

Password for the attached zip is: 123

There are two makefiles in the zip,
 - one with the dependency rule (filename - makefile1)
 - the other one without the dependency rule (filename - makefile2)

We have added two includes in the source file
- one within the same directory structure where 'makefile' file exists
 - the other one outside the directory structure. (please change the include
path in the source file as well as in the makefiles as per your directory
structure)

Keep the 'inside.h' header file in the same directory structure where
'makefile' file exists.
and the 'outside.h' header file need to be placed anywhere else (same as
mentioned in the source file) other than the makefile directory.

Step 1:
                - Rename 'makefile1' to 'makefile'
            - Run the first makefile(i.e.makefile1) using 'make all' command
                - First, it will generate .o and .d files

Step 2:
                - Rename 'makefile2' to 'makefile'
            - Run the second makefile (i.e. makefile2) using 'make all' command
                - this time, it will not generate the dependency (.d) files
                - Now modify any header file (i.e. inside.h, outside.h)
                - Then run 'make all' command
                - Here, no file is re-built even after the .h files are modified

Regards,
Swapna