Re: Is -C @ magical?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Is -C @ magical?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 15:27:25 -0500

On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 20:08 +0000, Doug Konrad wrote:
> Paul,
>
> If I use the MAKETARGET line as I entered it in my email, everything works as
> it should. However, if I edit the line to be:
>
>  MAKETARGET = $(MAKE) --no-print-directory -C /.../some/other/path -f
> $(CURDIR)/Makefile \
>                 SRCDIR=$(CURDIR) $(MAKECMDGOALS)
>
> Then I get
>
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/.../some/other/path /Makefile'.  Stop.
>
> It seems that $(CURDIR)/Makefile is pointing somewhere else.

Is the error message above verbatim, including the embedded space in the
pathname after "path" and before "/Makefile"?

That's ultra-bizarre.  Can you provide a reproducible case (cut down)?
You're really just replacing the $@ with a simple explicit path exactly
as you show above?  No quoting, make variables, etc.?

Can you also paste the recursive make command that make is invoking?
You might have to remove the "@" so it will be printed.  That should
definitely be illuminating.