Re: Problem with conditional target-specific variables...

From: David
Subject: Re: Problem with conditional target-specific variables...
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 11:06:17 +1000

On 28 June 2014 10:32, Bill Westfield <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yes, this appears to be http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34806, which claims
> to have been fixed back in 2011.
>
> It's unfortunate that "everybody" still seems to be "shipping" 3.81
> (is there a reason that everyone is still shipping 3.81?  I mean: Atmel
> Studio 6.2, Unbuntu 14, Mint 17, Debian 7.5, OpenSuse - all are installing
> 3.81 from 2006!)

Ok, but that's "everybody" else's doing, not make's, so you should
contact them :)

In case you are not aware, using a different version is quite trivial.

Just get another version from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make/ and build
it. It's only dependency is the standard libc library, so you do not
need to install make. Just create a directory somewhere, build a make
executable in that directory, and run it instead.

For example:
cd /directory/you/choose
wget http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make/make-4.0.tar.gz
tar xzf make-4.0.tar.gz
cd make-4.0
./configure
make                  # this uses the old make to build the new

When finished, to use the new make just run the full pathname to it in
the directory where you built it:
/directory/you/choose/make-4.0/make