how to use a different /bin/sh with GNU Make?

From: Mark Galeck
Subject: how to use a different /bin/sh with GNU Make?
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 04:35:34 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,
as root, I replaced the default /bin/sh with a shell compiled by me with custom
changes.  I expected GNU Make will use that shell by default , but it does not
- it still uses the original /bin/sh (which was really bash) even though it is
not there anymore.
Why, and how to use a different compiled shell in /bin/sh with GNU Make?  (I
know I could force the use of a different shell by reassigning the SHELL
variable value.  But I want to know, how to do this with the same default
SHELL, just changing the file itself.).
thank you
Mark