Re: ./configure Make sources runs, but compiled make segfaults - is this

From: Mark Galeck
Subject: Re: ./configure Make sources runs, but compiled make segfaults - is this a bug?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 09:47:42 +0000 (UTC)

Dan Kegel wrote:
You may need this commit, which was after 4.1, if I read git history correctly:

commit 292da6f6867b75a5af7ddbb639a1feae022f438f
Author: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
Date:  Mon Oct 20 01:54:56 2014 -0400

    * main.c (main): [SV 43434] Handle NULL returns from ttyname().

Try getting the latest from git; see
http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=make

----------------------------

I am still having trouble compiling GNU Make 4.1 from the above git repo.
Following instructions from Dan and the file README.git,

I run
>autoreconf -i

This fails because I don't have the latest gettext package, OK I install that,
then it fails because I don't have the latest autoconf, OK I install that too,
finally  it fails like this:

configure.ac:45: warning: macro `AM_PROG_AR' not found in library
configure.ac:45: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_AR
See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: //bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

Here I am stuck, not sure what to do - I consulted autoconf documentation, but
it is not clear why I need to fix anything.  This thing should "just work" no?

Well, if I persist and try

>autoreconf -i
again, it gives the warning as above but no more error.  (??)  I can then do
./configure  , but then

>make

fails to build.

So can someone explain to me how to build Make 4.1 from git sources?  This
should be obvious and clear is it not.   As Dan pointed out, there is a patch
to Make 4.1 after the official release, then it stands to reason there should
be an easy way to compile sources with that patch.

Am I the only one that is having trouble compiling after that patch?  What am I
missing?

Thank you

Mark