Re: strange "out of order" output using "info" command in a rule

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: strange "out of order" output using "info" command in a rule
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 08:25:47 -0400

On Sat, 2019-10-12 at 08:13 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   weirdly(?), there is a target which first runs a number of simple
> linux commands (rm, mkdir, ...), then invokes "foreach" a couple
> times to call some functions.
>
>   i say "weirdly" because the output shows the "foreach" invocations
> being run (they invoke their own "info" calls) *before* the linux
> commands.

When you say "foreach" I assume you are referring to GNU make $(foreach
...) functions?

That's expected.  GNU make will expand the entire recipe first,
including all lines of the recipe, before starting any shell commands.

There's an issue in Savannah about this.  It's a source of much
confusion and I wondered if it would break things to change it.  But so
far it's just idle curiosity.