Re: Make 4.3 rebuilds .o files when unnecessary

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Make 4.3 rebuilds .o files when unnecessary
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 08:31:07 -0500

On Wed, 2020-11-25 at 11:28 +0100, Tommaso Fonda wrote:
> Thank you for the small tutorial. I've managed to find the commit
> that introduces the issue! It's this one:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/make.git/commit/?id=c6966b323811c37acedff05b576b907b06aea5f4
> What happens now?

Well, the info in the news file for that commit warns of a backward-
incompatibility and describes its effect.  That appears to be impacting
your makefiles, so if you want to use the newer version of GNU make
you'll have to adjust your makefiles.

Locate the places in your makefile where $(shell ...) is used, find the
one(s) which use an escaped hash character, and remove the escape and
see if that works with the newer version of GNU make.

If you want it to be portable to both older and newer versions of GNU
make, see the NEWS file entry for a suggested workaround.