Parsing the Makefiles

From: Peter Bocan
Subject: Parsing the Makefiles
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 12:57:02 +0000

Hello Make community,

I am currently interested in the parsing and processing of Makefiles and I have
a few questions regarding Make:

- Is there any sort of EBNF grammar description of the Makefile format?
- As far as I understand it, the Make processes Makefiles based on lines, is
that correct?
- how does Make differentiate if the target of a rule is a file or not? I have
noticed that there are occurrences where files are checking for  „.o“ files.
- when does the recipe definition end? If I have a blank line in between the
recipe lines, should the recipe continue?

Kindly,
Peter Bocan.