Parallel problem

From: jeremiah
Subject: Parallel problem
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 23:35:45 +0000

Hello I have a problem with parallel tests being run with make -j 42
with the following makefile:

https://notabug.org/deesix/M2-Planet/src/RELEASE_CANDIDATE-parallel_testing/makefile

The problem is that although none of the tests actually write to the
same files, they all depend on the program to built first but make seems
to cause GCC to try to compile the program they all depend upon more
than once at the same time and breaks with the error message:

> In file included from <command-line>:
> /usr/include/stdc-predef.h:1: fatal error: can’t create precompiled
> header bin/M2-Planet: No such file or directory
>  /* Copyright (C) 1991-2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> compilation terminated.
> In file included from <command-line>:
> /usr/include/stdc-predef.h:1: fatal error: can’t create precompiled
> header bin/M2-Planet: No such file or directory
>  /* Copyright (C) 1991-2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> compilation terminated.

This occurs only when I do:
make clean test -j42

but never when I do:
make clean M2-Planet test -j42

What can I do to ensure that make only tries to build M2-Planet once
before running the tests?

-Jeremiah