RE: using .ONESHELL with just some targets

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: RE: using .ONESHELL with just some targets
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 17:45:24 +0000

>I'd like to migrate to .ONESHELL but I'm too scared to use it with
>everything yet. Is there any way to apply it on a per-target basis?

FWIW: Not to my knowledge.

You *can* usefully use [Target\-specific Variable
Values](https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Target_002dspecific)
to set .SHELL for selected targets.

But the documentation does not indicate any similar provision for .ONESHELL.

It would be nice if Gnu make supported it, perhaps with hijacking the syntax
for "order only" prerequisites; something like:

        my/rule.txt: precond1 precond2 | .ONESHELL

Cheers,

~Malcolm