In Make 4.3, how does specifying a value for '-j' in MAKEFLAGS interact

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: In Make 4.3, how does specifying a value for '-j' in MAKEFLAGS interact with Target Specific Variables?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 18:07:54 +0000

Regarding specifying a value for '-j' in MAKEFLAGS in Gnu Make 4.3...

How does this interact with Target Specific Variables?

Specifically, if '-j' is specified in MAKEFLAGS as a target specific variable,
should I expect to find that make 'enable that parallelism mode' for the
specified target (and its preconditions)?

I hope to find the intended behaviour is 'yes'.

Regards

Malcolm Cook