Re: Can the exit status of the code block in @(...) be obtained from out

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Can the exit status of the code block in @(...) be obtained from outside the @() structure?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 09:50:09 +0800

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 3:13 AM Sam Kendall <sckendall2@gmail.com> wrote:

> >  What is going on here, and where is my mistake?
>
> I don't know. But I recommend you refactor the download_and_unpack code into
> an actual shell script, in a separate file. It will be a lot easier to read,
> test, and debug that way.

This is really I want to re-implement, but still can't figure it out
how to make a drop-in replacement to it with a normal shell bash
script.
To be specific, the customized Makefile function download_and_unpack
discussed here is initiated and called as follows:

$ rg -N -A1 -B1 '\$\(W90_URL\)'
install/plugins_makefile
uncompress-w90:
    $(call download_and_unpack,$(W90),$(W90_URL),W90,wannier90)
    touch uncompress-w90

And the corresponding arguments are supplied as follows:

$ rg -N -B1 W90_URL=
install/plugins_list
W90=wannier90-3.1.0
W90_URL=https://codeload.github.com/wannier-developers/wannier90/tar.gz/v3.1.0

Any more hints/comments will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
HZ