Re: Why intcmp does not work?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Why intcmp does not work?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 17:43:24 -0500

On Sat, 2023-02-18 at 22:07 +0000, sleight_raid_0t@icloud.com wrote:
> The intcmp function does not seem to work on GNU Make 4.3 (built for
> x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu). it always results in the empty string. For
> example, $(intcmp 6,7,hello,world) evaluates to the empty string,
> which is contrary to the expected result as per the documentation.
>
> Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong?

You are using a version of GNU make that doesn't support that function.
It was added in GNU make 4.4.

You can check the NEWS file:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/make.git/tree/NEWS?h=4.4

And in particular here:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/make.git/tree/NEWS?h=4.4#n113

The version of the GNU make manual provided on the GNU website always
documents the latest release.  If you want to see the documentation for
the version of GNU make installed on your system, then you should read
the documentation packaged for your system which will presumably be the
correct vesion.