help-ncurses

fed

From: Harold Lott
Subject: fed
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:59:07 -0700

An elderly man, anxious, poor,and ratlike, sits at a table with his wife. The man, after a moment of irresolution, sits downhelplessly.
Yes; but how do you arrive at the figure? Is there any question of that between us?
The old man makes a dash toprevent her, but is too late.
And what do you want atpresent, for instance? Men are a different and veryinferior species.
I will hurt you until you wish yourself dead.
As to Miss Smith, thisis a licensed house; and she has as much right to be here as you orI. The woman instantly stops sewing and conceals thepiles of coats under the table.
How can I afford to lose a client with suchan income and such a temper? Thestupidest di Parerga can just walk round the cleverest Jew when itcomes to moneymaking. My poor old father hadnt the nerve to turnher out: he said she might just try for a day or two. That is why Sagamore should not have brought me here. Do you suggest that I am not a moral man?
I pay theright wages, same as everybody pays. She looks at the pair; then looks round her; then goesto the curtain and looks through.
Be a man, darling: dont be afraid of her.
Yes; but how do you arrive at the figure? At the rate of exchange contemplated by my mother,about thirtyfive shillings.
I dont like the people I employ to know too much. You dont know thestruggle we have to live.
There is no might and no majesty save in Thee, O Allah;but oh! If I had I should have anoperation a week until there was nothing left of me or of my bankbalance. Business isbusiness; and theres no room for sentiment in it. When I think of my father allordinary men seem to me the merest trash.