help-octave

Re: Octave does not start

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Octave does not start
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 12:30:07 -0400

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 9:49 AM David Remans <D.Remans@tradinco.com> wrote:

Problem solved, by installing the latest 6.3.1 build
Thanks a lot for your help

ok great.  thanks for following up.  in your offline message (please always keep the help list in the loop) you mentioned testing the vbs execution using a dummy script, so good you ruled that out.

What's left:  maybe corrupt GUI configuration files preventing the GUI from opening, which may have been cleared/corrected by the reinstallation.  Safe to assume you had tried reinstallation of 6.3.0 without success? Reinstall may leave old config files, usually stored in *userprofile*\AppData\Roaming.  I've had success clearing that folder when the gui wouldn't open.

We also recently had another long troubleshooting discussion with someone who had a similar issue where a particular version of Octave wouldn't open on his system, related to an underlying component of the windows build. I'm not sure we ever locked down what created the specific conflict on this person's machine, but you can see the details here: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?61017
In that case, installing a 6.3.1 version also enabled running the GUI. Since your case also improved here, it may be the same issue.