[Help-smalltalk] Releasing GNU Smalltalk 2.1.2

From: Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Releasing GNU Smalltalk 2.1.2
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 14:21:12 +0200

I'm currently uploading GNU Smalltalk 2.1.2 to
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/smalltalk/smalltalk-2.1.2.tar.gz

Diffs relative to the previous release are
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/smalltalk/smalltalk-2.1.1-2.1.2.diff.gz

The interesting changes include:
* builds under Linux/PPC and with gcc 2.x (I'm very sorry for the latter)
* better error checking in ObjectMemory>>#snapshot:
* fixing the class mutation that Mike reported
* Mike's patch for copying stack traces
* Nicolas' bugfix for File>>#extensionFor:

The biggest reason to upgrade would be that if you are using GCC 2.x or running
under
Linux/PPC, 2.1.1 would not build for you.  Otherwise, there are still a few
interesting
changes but you can save yourself a 3 megabyte download.  :-)

Most of the changes indeed are small changes in the configury:
* a supposedly more thorough detection of Tcl/Tk
* a --disable-generational-gc switch for those releases of MacOS X which lock
up in the
configuration of libsigsegv

This release has been tested on
    i686-pc-linux-gnu
    i686-pc-cygwin

Pre-releases (but not exactly the latest tarballs) were run on
    sparc-sun-solaris2.8
    powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
    alpha-unknown-linux-gnu
    ia64-unknown-linux-gnu
    alpha-unknown-freebsd
    alpha-unknown-netbsd

Other Linux and Solaris platforms should give no problems.  HP/UX should not as
well,
but I'm not so sure as for Linux and Solaris.

I've put quite a lot of care in this release; of course I might have missed
something,
so don't hesitate to tell me about any problem that you might encounter.
However I
hope that it remains stable for quite a long time (say until September).

Have fun,

Paolo