Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Building on Windows XP

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Building on Windows XP
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 15:49:57 +0200

I got 2 exe files. gst.exe and gst-tool.exe but, I noticed thath when I wrote gst and press TAB, I saw all the files, and started to search.

I don't know how (previous make install or something similar?), but in C:\msys\1.0\local\bin I have all the executables.

Yes, because the build directory only has "gst.exe" and "gst-tool.exe", but the installation has all the tools as separate executables. They are actually the same program as "gst-tool.exe", but they look at their executable name so they behave differently.

From there, on Windows shell, I cant start GST with gst.exe, but is curious. I can start it, If I don't put the extension.

Interesting.  I'll try to figure out how.

I want say...I can do
C:\msys\1.0\local\bin\gst-blox

but don't
C:\msys\1.0\local\bin\gst-blox.exe

Can you also say "gst" but not "gst.exe"?

** I breaked about 10 seconds after start. I don't have patiente :D
C:\msys\1.0\local\bin>gst-convert

It was waiting for input from you :-)

C:\msys\1.0\local\bin>gst-package
gst-package: Invalid index 1: index out of range

Interesting. :-)

** With this I get a "gst-remote detected a problem an may close. Want you send the report to M$?"
C:\msys\1.0\local\bin>gst-remote
C:\msys\1.0\local\share\smalltalk\kernel/../scripts/Remote.st:37: C function not
defined

I think I know what's happening.  You don't have getpid on Windows, I guess.

** Under petition of Paolo
C:\msys\1.0\local\bin>gst-sunit -p SUnit
27 run, 27 passed, 0 failed, 0 errors

Yeah.

We are close to a solution for the windows binaries? :D

I think it's just more complicated to setup because (on Windows) you're not used to compiling from source. But overall it doesn't seem too bad a shape.

Note: Paolo, This list accepts HTML mails?

I honestly don't know.

Paolo