Re: [Help-smalltalk] Help the gnu-smalltalk project

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Help the gnu-smalltalk project
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:31:03 +0100

Martin Beck wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> I know about your GSOC project, and it's a pity that you cannot leverage
>> it fully.  Unfortunately, even though I ported OB-Core and it all went
>> fine, the OmniBrowser-based browsers were completely unportable, and it
>> is easier to rewrite them than to port them.  I have some ideas for an
>> alternative UI model, but it's stuck on the lack of support in GTK+ (it
>> should go in 2.16, hopefully).
>>
> Just out of curiosity: Did you ever think of integrating Qt instead of
> Gtk?

I didn't write the entire Gtk+ binding, though I enhanced it a bit after
it was contributed.  If you want to write Qt bindings, I'll be pleased
to integrate them of course.

BTW, Gwanael, one other thing you could do is to rewrite the Gtk+
binding to base it on GObject-introspection (parsing the XML type
libraries) instead of awk scripts.

Paolo