Re: [Help-smalltalk] [Iliad] UI package

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] [Iliad] UI package
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 23:10:04 +0200

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:56:32 +0200
Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> wrote:

> Le vendredi 10 juillet 2009 à 13:05 +0200, Stefan Schmiedl a écrit :
> > On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:33:52 +0200
> > Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I started to work on a UI package for Iliad. The code is
> > > available in the svn repository in More/UI.
> > >
> > > This addon aims to be a higher abstraction layer over html to
> > > build web applications. I started it with libs like GTK+ and QT
> > > in mind.
> > >
> > > Some parts are already working (but not well tested yet):
> >
> > I'll give it a try later today!
>
> Great, but please keep in mind that it's just a first draft :)

I'm too exhausted today to be smart ... is there a short example
of how the boxes or paneds are used in code?

Also, I don't grok the names HorizontalPaned and VerticalPaned.
A HorizontalBox is a horizontal box, but a HorizontalPaned is
 - a horizontal pane?
 - a container for something horizontally paned?

> BTW, I'm trying to figure out what other widgets would be useful in
> this package. Any idea?

About the only thing I could come up with today was the wish for
another way to build tabs. You have
  Tab new labels: aCollection; widgets: aCollection
I'd also like to use something like
  Tab new
    addLabel: string1 widget: widget1;
    addLabel: string2 widget: widget2...
It puts labels and widgets next to each other and avoids the
intermediate collections.

How would I do the following: Assume I'd like to use tabs like
a "wizard". I'd put some static explanation on the first page
and then add widgets as necessary.

Do I have to create a dedicated widget subclass for the static text
or is there a way around this? I guess this boils down to something
like

  Tab new
    addLabel: 'intro' build: [:e | e text: 'hi!' ...];
    addLabel: 'step 1' widget: w1;
    addLabel: 'step 2' widget: w2;

heh ... a Wizard widget might be nice, actually. Based on tabs,
with a "next" button at the bottom and active tab switches from
1...n (assuming you've completed n-1 steps)

good night,
s.