[Help-smalltalk] Re: IDe for GST

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: IDe for GST
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:41:10 +0200

Hi Guiseppe,

The great thing about GNU Smalltalk is that you can use your favorite tool :)
Most of the times I used Vim and gst's REPL, but I'm starting to switch to
VisualGST, as it is getting ready for daily work :)

If you want to use VisualGST, I suggest to use the git version, it's quite
stable and has almost everything you may need to develop.

For versionning, I use Git from the command line, so I keep a terminal open to
commit changes (fileouts from VisualGST).

If you want to use a text editor, some good ones have builtin Smalltalk syntax
highlighting, like Vim or Emacs (but you can also use Kate, Textmate, etc).

For building packages automatically (because doing it manually each time is
very painful), I use the package builder  (it is in the Examples directory I
think).

To debug, I use VisualGST's debugger or the MiniDebugger from Examples in the
REPL.

HTH,
Nico

--