Re: [Help-smalltalk] [vwnc] Are Objects really hard?

From: andre
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] [vwnc] Are Objects really hard?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 15:33:02 +0100

Am 14.02.2012 um 00:53 schrieb Shyam Sundaresan (Personal):

> The  veteran smalltalkers are so exacting in their standards that mediocre
> "others" (the bulk of the average talent) get intimidated and feel "left
> out". It is not problem of smalltalk, but good Smalltalkers do make that
> pedantic impression.

I don't think so. According to my experience, the opposite is true. New talents
are rather fascinated and attracted by the religious attitudes of the Smalltalk
community. I still have no problems getting the full attention of any
non-Smalltalker within minutes.

Their major concern is they can't see how to accomplish with Smalltalk the
things they want to do today. Smalltalk has become a business, services and
datbase focussed platform with a legacy touch, that can not compete with
state-of-the-art desktop and mobile applications anymore. It still has its
place in the backend market, but that is a rather hidden place.

I have no doubt that, if Smalltalk was put side by side with Ruby and Java on
the XCode platform, it would succeed in the long term.

Andre