Re: [Help-smalltalk] ZeroDivide bug in float printing

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] ZeroDivide bug in float printing
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 23:25:33 -0400

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 09:07:48 +0000 Holger wrote:
> > Last night I tracked it down. It only happens with:
> > * 64 bit arch
> > * gcc 4.9.x
>
> Why is this version of GCC used? What prevents the usage of GCC8?
>
> > On 29. Mar 2019, at 10:15, Derek Zhou wrote:
> > there are poor poeple still stuck with old compilers
>
> Is this true for mainstream OS and CPU platforms?
> Even for old CentOS there is support for newer compilers.

also, there are a number of distros that fully support i686 computers,
such as debian/parabola/arch32/connochaetos - parabola i686 with a fully
graphical desktop, a 5.0 kernel, and GCC v8.2.1 can run on a pentium
2 with 128MB RAM - arch is actually working on a port for 486; which is
incomplete, but already runs linux 5 and GCC 8

for that reason, in order to support 99% of PC users, while still
allowing for a variety of popular distros, the oldest platforms that
need to be supported are the oldest of the current LTS distros, such as
debian - the current GCC in debian stable (debian9) is v6.3.0, and very
soon that will be v8.3.0 (debian10)