Re: Is GNU Smalltalk dead?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is GNU Smalltalk dead?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 10:24:23 -0500

> No, not at all, any editor you're comfortable with will do.  Emacs has just
> one advantage over everything else, and that's the fact that the syntax
> highlighting for GST for Emacs is included in the repo.

Actually, the more up-to-date code for that is in the GNU ELPA
repository (https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/smalltalk-mode.html), AFAIK.
But it's also arguably easier to install (it's a simple `M-x
package-install` away).

And it offers a fair bit more than syntax highlighting.

> The syntax is minimal and rather regular, so it should be very easy to
> add support for it to your editor if it lacks it.

There are Smalltalk support packages for most editors out
there, AFAICT.  I don't know how much support they provide beyond the
basic syntax highlighting, tho (indentation?).

        Stefan