Re: running GTK

From: c4t0
Subject: Re: running GTK
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 03:02:04 +0000

did you try 'gst packages/gtk/examples_hello.st' ? gst-browser or
anything that uses the gtk bindings with the gst that you builded??

On 2022-10-16 23:35, bill-auger wrote:
> there is something wrong with the arch package - someone
> should open a bug report - it is indeed missing GTK.star
> and a few others; but according to the published build
> recipe, those files should be present - probably you can
> just grab the PKGBUILD and run makepkg on it

mmm weird, also I tried to makepkg it, but I18N tests keep failing -I
just commented it- maybe a clash with my locale config?
The script that I make is strongly inspired from the PKGBUILD.

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 01:16:52 +0000 c4t0@riseup.net wrote:
>> yes, I know, but the error is the same either way, and I didn't want to
>> uninstall package repository's gst and run 'sudo make intall' every time
>> I touch something. How does the developers compile and run their code
>> when they are developing the software?
>
> if the program is designed to run only if installed properly, then
> that is how it's developers work on it - the developers would never
> have a package installed - they would probably be developing in a
> clean dev environment, not an "every-day" use system
>
>   # edit code
>   $ make && sudo make install && test-it
>   # repeat

so ... a container? now gnu is going fast and furious with guix, maybe
I'll give it a try to make a recipe for it.

Anyway ICBW but I think that isn't the problem here, even the arch
package uses '--prefix=...' argument in configure script to change a
little the installation path. But if that the case, maybe gst can't
runtime load the gtk binaries needed? so the error should be more
explicit that a key is not found in a namespace/dictionary.

If you can tell me if gtk stuff just werks in your build, it would allow
me to think better on the next steps to take.

thanks
Cheers!