Re: GTK and GST

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: GTK and GST
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 14:21:09 -0400

On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 15:07:54 +0000 c4t0@riseup.net wrote:
> do you keep the sources or the commit from the repo?

my sources were the 3.2.91 source-ball - i probably did not
modify it - that is exactly why i started this thread,
recommending to always build from versioned releases - that way,
when two users discuss the code, they are sure to be referring to
the same code

if anything that i have is precious, it would be the binaries,
or the set of packages which i have installed now - if the former
is the case, then my guess is that the PKGBUILD would generate
useful binaries, if compiled on a hyperbola system, or an arch
system from ~2 years ago - though the latter could be the case,
that the build dependencies are still adequate, but that i have
some unspecified run-time dependency installed, which is
allowing it to work properly - the difference between my
everyday system and a clean fresh arch system is over 1000
packages; so i did not jump down that rabbit-hole

On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 15:07:54 +0000 c4t0@riseup.net wrote:
> maybe we should ask the maintainer of GST?

this is the proper channel to contact the maintainer - i was
quite hoping that the maintainer would respond to this discussion
- arch and other distros will drop GTK2 eventually - it became
EOL upstream 2 years ago; so i asked the arch package maintainer
to inquire explicitly about upstream plans