help-source-highlight

Re: [Help-source-highlight] Standard IO kills line numbers

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [Help-source-highlight] Standard IO kills line numbers
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:16:13 +0100

Hi Keith

        You're right about this behavior and indeed in this release
--line-number makes sense only if you do not use stdin redirection,
since the program wouldn't be able to compute the exact number of lines
in the file and so it couldn't compute the number of digits to reserve
for line numbers.  In the next release the number of digits will be set
to a default value in this case.

thanks for the feedback

cheers
        Lorenzo

Keith Robertson wrote:

> These two commands should produce the same results; however, the first
> one (the one with IO redirection) doesn't produce an html file with line
> numbers.  Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
>
> keithr:/tmp> ./source-highlight --title=Hello --line-number -s java -f
> html < ~keithr/Hello.java > ~keithr/Hello.html
> keithr:/tmp> ./source-highlight --title=Hello --line-number -s java -f
> html -i ~keithr/Hello.java -o ~keithr/Hello.html

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD student in Computer Science                    |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Tel +39 055 4796741, Fax +39 055 4796730           |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://w3.newnet.it/bettini     |
|  Mail             : address@hidden            |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://w3.newnet.it/bettini/purple     Cover Band  |