help-source-highlight

Re: [Help-source-highlight] Unicode files ?

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [Help-source-highlight] Unicode files ?
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:40:48 +0200

Martin Gebert wrote:

An afterthought, and to get back to the original problem: The fact
that source-highlight users didn't stumble upon the unicode problem
earlier may be that AFAIK for source-highlight, a string from a source
file in means the same string out, without doing much more than pre-
and suffixing it with the appropriate tags (I'm oversimplifying here,
but that's my "good enough" mental model of how it works).
So, why does the OP experience this issue? As the output is HTML, may
it be that the HTML is simply bearing the wrong encoding in <head>? If
so, perhaps this can be fixed w/o much hassle around making
source-highlight Unicode capable? (Not a solution for eternity, though.)

Hi everyone

sorry for the delay of my answer

what you describe Martin is not far from the truth, though we must add also regular expression matching.

the html might bring also bad encoding in the head, but I guess it is also due to the fact that source-highlight reads two bytes, which in unicode represent a single character, and interprets them as two characters instead of one. This is unicode, am I right? Sorry for my ignorance, but with unicode in a text file every character is represented by two bytes, right?

I'd like to try with wstring and see whether this solves something.

Can someone, possibly the original poster, please send me a file in unicode format so that I can do some tests?

cheers
        Lorenzo

ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
http://www.myspace.com/supertrouperabba
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net