help-tar

Re: explicit extraction of files behind (sym)links

From: Reuti
Subject: Re: explicit extraction of files behind (sym)links
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 18:53:21 +0200

Hi,

> Am 23.07.2022 um 15:04 schrieb Aiyion.Prime <help-tar@aiyionpri.me>:
>
> Heu Reuti,
>
> Thanks for you input. I was afraid I'd need to use a workaround like this.
> I like the idea of explicitely packing relative symlinks and use them to
> determine the real target.
> What bugs me is the idea to extract the files in order to determine, whether
> this is the real deal or just a symlink I need to follow first.
>
> If I understand tar correctly, it is stored in a header whether the current
> file is a file or a symlink.

This might be a misunderstanding. The tar archive is sequential and could even
hold more than one file with the same name (and the same directory); maybe
added later on with `tar --append …`. A symlink is stored as a symlink (unless
-h is used) also in the middle of an archive.

Therefore the idea to use a list of files (created e.g. by `find <directory>
-type l -print0 > myfilelist` followed by a `find <directory> -type f print0 >>
filelist`) and give this list to `tar --create --null --files-from=filelist …`.

Even if the archive is compressed and hence not seekable, this will allow in
combination with "--occurrence" to stop at the first encounter and avoid
uncompressing the remainder of the archive (or even restore the same file
twice). The symlinks should this way be extracted (or output) quite fast, and
even if we got already the real file, we don't have to look in the following
files in the archive whether we got the file another time.

I don't know whether the archive is compressed in your case, whether you would
like to use "--wildcards" or provide always a complete path for the file to be
extracted. Just some ideas of my approach to such a problem.

-- Reuti

> I think I'll extend your recommendation by a variant of "tar tvf archive.tar
> targetfile".
> Gotta find out, whether that is intended to be machine-readable or if there's
> a cleaner approach to proping the files.
>
> Thanks for your help
> Aiyion
>

> On 7/22/22 17:29, Reuti wrote:
>> Hi Aiyion,
>>> Am 22.07.2022 um 10:13 schrieb Aiyion.Prime <help-tar@aiyionpri.me>:
>>>

>>> Good morning everyone,
>>>
>>> I thought I knew my way around tar for a few years now, but learned I'm
>>> wrong about that yesterday evening:
>>>
>>> I'm archiving a directory-structure, that does contain large redundant
>>> files.
>>>
>>> onepath/readme
>>> onepath/binaryblob13
>>> anotherpath/readme