Re: translations of GNU manuals

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: translations of GNU manuals
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:28:45 +0100

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:

Hello,

>     How should I organize /doc in the parted distributation for translations
>     of parted.texi?
>
> /doc?  Do you mean /info?  Or are does make install also install the
> Texinfo source (generally this is not done)?
>
> As you say, I don't think there are any standards about this.  It would
> seem reasonable to have language-specific subdirectories, as in
> $(infodir)/fr, $(infodir)/de, etc.  Or maybe fr_FR, de_DE, etc., I don't
> know enough say.  Unfortunately, there is no particular support for this.
>
> The only Texinfo manual translation I'm aware of was simply called
> info-fr.texi, which is not an especially good model to follow.

gcal comes with a translated manual, too.  IIRC, Tom offered to add
support to automake when need will arise.

> What do you do for the plaintext versions now?
>
> I will ask around about this.
>
>     Are there any other issues with i18n and texi?  We were using plaintext,
>     and are currentyl switching to texinfo.
>
> Well, you'll find Texinfo's support for languages other than English is
> painfully lacking, in general :(.  But it is possible ...

It isn't that bad :)  First run recode on the input file ('..texinfo')
then it is possible to build Info files (at least, this work for some of
my German files).

--
Linux frechet 2.4.16-4GB #1 Wed Dec 12 13:42:58 GMT 2001 i686 unknown
  2:24pm  up  3:42,  7 users,  load average: 1.81, 1.46, 1.02