[help-texinfo] Re: Indices in XML output

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: [help-texinfo] Re: Indices in XML output
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:58:45 +0100

Hallöchen!

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:

>     @synindex kw cp
>     @kwindex Hallo
>
>     this yields
>
>     <indexterm index="cp">Hallo</indexterm>
>
> Yes, that's a bug.  Not easy to fix (ie, untransform), I would
> guess.
>
>     syn{code}index passed to XML
>
> That much should be easy to do.  I'll look at it.

For me, it was exactly the other way round.  So we can throw both
together and have it done.  :-)

At the moment, I'm only interested in an agreement about the rough
direction so that I can rely on it.  Whether this is already
realised, doesn't matter much to me right now.  I assume the
following:

1.  The index attribute for <indexterm> is the original value.

2.  There is one new empty element <synindex code="no" from="kw"
    to="cp"/> as child of <texinfo> with code="no" as default.

Alternatively, we can have <synindex> and <syncodeindex>.  I'll
implement the first variant, but it affects only five lines of code
or so.

> [...]
>
> We should just do the right thing starting from where we are now,
> without worrying too much about the past.  The XML output has
> always been a poor relation.

But it is extremely powerful, you'll see!  ;-)

Tschö,
Torsten.