Re: [help-texinfo] roman/arabic numeral pages and modified headers at fi

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] roman/arabic numeral pages and modified headers at first page in chapter
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:52:40 +0100

Negative page number works fine. I can set roman numerals in preface.

I don't know TeX very well. I have experience only on LaTeX/sgml to produce
manuals. So I can read some TeX manual to understand texinfo.tex file and follow
your suggestion to redefine various macros ...

Thanks a lot,
   tullio

>     to use roman number pages also in Preface and start with arabic
>     number from the First chapter?
>
> If you do
> @tex
> \global\pageno=-3
> @end tex
> before the preface, it should come out in roman numerals.  Basically,
> negative numbers get roman numerals.
>
>     First of all I would delete header (it contains "Chapter x: xxxxx
>     page")
>
> Do you know TeX?  If you can send a patch to texinfo.tex to implement
> this, it could be an option (or perhaps it should even be removed
> entirely).  If you can't do this, I can look at it eventually, but don't
> hold your breath.  Sorry.
>
>     - a line containing "Chapter x" on the left
>     - a second line containing "title of the chapter centered
>
> Texinfo was specifically designed not to allow arbitrary formatting
> choices.  I'm not necessarily opposed to allowing "styles", but it's a
> big job and will probably never happen (unless someone else implements
> it in a way that I can integrate it).
>
> Meanwhile, if this is critical to you, you can do it by redefining the
> various macros in texinfo.tex that output the title.
>
> In this particular case, there is a @centerchap command which
> outputs the whole thing centered.  It might be possible to fiddle around
> with that to get it on two lines as you want, I'm not sure.  I'm not
> even sure if @centerchap really works, I haven't seen it used in years.
>
> BTW, your message got delivered twice to the list.  (Your individual
> message to me also came in twice.)
>
> Best,
> karl

6X velocizzare la tua navigazione a 56k? 6X Web Accelerator di Libero!
Scaricalo su INTERNET GRATIS 6X http://www.libero.it