Re: [help-texinfo] alternate node name [was: Overloading function defs i

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] alternate node name [was: Overloading function defs inside and across languages]
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 17:40:18 -0600

    After a while I thought of adding a new parameter to @node, which
    would be the 'display name' of the node. While tracing in makeinfo
    I've come across cm_node() in node.c and if I've guessed right it
    won't be easy at all.

Correct.

You can change the displayed name in menus and cross-references, via the
additional arguments.  But not in other contexts.

    I hope that I'm not offending anyone here,

I'm certainly not offended, you're entirely correct on most counts, but
unfortunately I can't undertake any substantial rewrite of the code any
time soon.  (I doubt it would be possible to parse texinfo with lex and
yacc, by the way.)

Also, any changes to the language (or the Info output) must be 100%
backward compatible.

Regarding Perl, it would make some things easier, but I doubt rms would
appreciate it.  I should mention that the texi2html processor (not part
of the Texinfo package, but independently and "friendly" maintained) is
written in Perl.

Best,
Karl