Re: [help-texinfo] Numbering of chapters and sections

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Numbering of chapters and sections
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:30:12 -0600

Hello Hynek,

    I don't know, if it is possible to do this automatically?

How about using @appendix instead of @unnumbered, along with this definition:
@tex
\gdef\putwordAppendix{Part}
@end tex

I didn't try it, but I think that might get you Part A, Part B, ...

And then nested @section's should be A.1, A.2, ...
I realized that isn't what you asked for, but it is closer.
I'm not sure offhand how to get rid of the "A." in the numbers; if you
know TeX at all, you could look at texinfo.tex.

Or you could perhaps use @unnumberedsec instead of @section and number
the sections yourself.

    But now when I write @section inside the @unnumbered, it too
    is without any number

Yes, by design.  Within an @unnumbered chapter, one would not want the
sections numbered.  You may think of your @unnumbered chapters as being
sequenced, but Texinfo has no way of knowing that.

    IMHO contradicts texinfo documentation

Many many years ago (I can't even find when), @section (and @subsection
and @subsubsection) was changed to be equivalent to @unnumberedsec
(@appendixsec) within @unnumbered (@appendix).  That had the obvious
advantage of not having to change commands when a chapter type changed,
as well as generally not having to remember so many commands.

I don't think the documentation exactly "contradicts" that (it says
nothing about @section except when it is used within chapters, that I
could find), but I can certainly agree that it is misleading.  I'll
work on improving that.  Thanks.

The previous way @section was handled would not have given you the
output you want, anyway.

Best regards,
Karl

P.S. In general, Texinfo is purposefully not designed to allow endless
flexibility in matters like this, which is why there's no "real" answer.
Perhaps LaTeX would be a better choice for your particular document?