[help-texinfo] Re: Still some problems with the latest CVS version of ma

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [help-texinfo] Re: Still some problems with the latest CVS version of makeinfo
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 19:10:17 -0600

(Per, please see docbook question about unnumbered chapters in case you
have any insights there; you don't need to bother with the rest.)

    I modified the test case, which you can download here:
    http://www.europephoto.com/temp/test_case.tgz

Finally had a chance to get back to this.  Sorry for the delay (and the
not-very-helpful answers, as you'll see).

    - an error message appear when you click on a "accented" node name
    in a menu
    - an error message appear when you click on a link to an "accented" node
      name (xref command)

Regrettably, I get no error message in these cases, using yelp 2.6.4 on
Red Hat (WS 4.1), so I'm at a loss to debug it.  What does the error
message say?  Can you trace it to a particular element in the docbook
file?

    - not all the chapters appear in the left panel of yelp (it should
      contains a tree of the sections)

In the test document, the @top and second @chapter had no title
specified.   If you add some words, I expect they'll show up in the left
panel.  As in:

@top toptest
@chapter chap2

They are actually present now (for me), they just appear as blank lines
in yelp's left-hand panel.  But when I click on the blank line, I get
to the appropriate place.

    - the chapter numbers in the xrefs links aren't the good one.

Indeed, yelp is apparently counting the Top node as chapter one, and
also apparently counts any @unnumbered chapter as unnumbered.

makeinfo is outputting a label for numbered chapters, and no label for
unnumbered ones, as in:

  <chapter label="" xreflabel="t0" id="Top">
  <chapter label="1" id="accents-test-space-àéîôù">

I poked around a little, but don't know if there is a better way to
represent unnumbered chapters in Docbook.  Help?

Meanwhile, the book on Docbook
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/docbook/chapter/book/chapter.html says
the following, which seems to state that yelp should be using the labels
output by makeinfo instead of renumbering on its own:
    Generally, an explicit Label attribute is used only if the
    processing system is incapable of generating the label
    automatically. If present, the Label is normative; it will used even
    if the processing system is capable of automatic labelling.

I didn't try to find the reference in the actual standard.

karl