Re: [help-texinfo] Multiple function indices

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Multiple function indices
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 17:12:59 -0500

Hi Ludovic,

    Obviously, it'd be nicer if we could have a C function index and a
    Scheme function index,

In general, I'm a believer in "one index".  However, if the functions
have the same names in both languages, I don't know how they'd be
distinguished in this case.

    but there doesn't seem to be any way to do it currently.

The only way I can think of at present is to abuse @deftp or @defvr and
then label the type/variable index as the Scheme (whichever) index in
the @address@hidden commands.  But maybe you are already using them
too?

It would probably would not be terribly difficult to implement commands
to change the hardwired index used, as in
@deffnindex xx
@deftpindex xx
@defvrindex xx
where xx is any index name (built-in or user-defined), and the command
takes effect until the next such @def...index.  But it seems rather a
complication in an already-too-complicated area.

Can you show me the actual manual?  Maybe there's a simpler way.

Karl