Re: [help-texinfo] Re: makeinfo: option for disable fill_column?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Re: makeinfo: option for disable fill_column?
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:14:48 -0500

    Unicode, then it would be much easier for handling CJK.

Sure.  Be aware that Unicode was not even dreamed of at the time
makeinfo was first written.  And the code has not really ever changed
much from Brian's first implementation.

    This may require rewriting large part of makeinfo, though.

No kidding.  I'd say it basically requires a completely new program.
The makeinfo implementation is riddled with special cases related to
Latin formatting, as you may have seen.

    I have mostly used the following commands when writing Texinfo: node,

Well, I'm glad to hear that.

I can imagine defining a new command such as
@justification off
which would globally turn off filling in makeinfo.  I'm not sure what
complications would ensue.

However, I don't know any feasible way to implement it in the TeX output
-- it would be impossible to just do \obeylines or similar throughout
the document, eol's are already an incredible special case everywhere in
Texinfo since they are part of command parsing.  So it would have to be
a no-op there.  I'm guessing that wouldn't bother you, since either
you're using xetex and the line breaking works well enough or you don't
care about the tex output.

    disable the filling at all(by modifying the source), the output seems

What was the source change you made?

karl