Re: [help-texinfo] problems with German characters

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] problems with German characters
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:28:16 -0500

    I already installed the latest texinfo.tex and txi-de.tex.
    But it is not really that much better.

You also have to have a tex engine with the german patterns loaded.  TeX
Live 2008 has it, don't know what version (if any) of MiKTeX.
Earlier releases won't work.

    P.S.: I think I'm going to have a look at the source code of makeinfo,

Don't waste your time.  The C makeinfo will be replaced with the Perl
texi2html in the next release.  I don't know its behavior with UTF-8
and/or commands in node names; check out http://texi2html.nongnu.org if
you like.