Re: [help-texinfo] Commands in indices

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Commands in indices
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 21:49:49 GMT

David, I am well aware of Texinfo's deficiencies wrt indexing.  There is
no way, at present, within Texinfo to do what you want.  I can only
suggest post-processing the relevant files with a script.  Sorry.

BTW, the C texindex program that sorts indexes for texinfo.tex knows
nothing of multibyte locales, unless I've totally missed something.
There is no occurrence of mbs or strcoll in the source (it is C makeinfo
which did comparisons using those), AFAIK texindex just compares bytes.
It is essentially unchanged since rms wrote it ca.1987, including
worrying about sorting data sets that don't fit in "core" ...

karl