Re: [help-texinfo] Consecutive spaces in node titles?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Consecutive spaces in node titles?
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 15:50:03 -0800

Hi Tim (and Juri),

    | * Secure?  Conform?::           Is Bison POSIX safe?
    | File: bison.info,  Node: Secure? Conform?,  Next: I can't build Bison,
Prev: Multiple start-symbols,  Up: FAQ

1) It seems wrong to me that makeinfo inserted (or deleted, whichever)
the extra space from the @node name here, assuming that is what
happened.  I am pretty sure that the development code does not do this.
(Patrice, please double check.)

2) Regardless, however, I think it is good for the info readers to not
worry about whitespace.  As this bug shows.  In general, having two node
names that differ only in whitespace is not likely to work in many
regards (certainly not in TeX), so it's not like we lose anything by
treating multiple spaces as equivalent to one.  As far as I can see.

Thanks,
Karl