Re: [help-texinfo] IXIN 1.7 available

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] IXIN 1.7 available
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 02:40:42 +0100

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:22:25AM +0100, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

>   ‘spec/ixin.texi’ is The IXIN Chronicles, a document that
>   defines the file format and provides related info.  There
>   are various output formats, including .info, .pdf and .ixin.

Some more comments on the format.

In the 'flosets-index' the normalized type should also be present.  It
allows to link a float to the listoffloat, through the 'flosets-index'
the to the node.

The node label is missing in the 'node index'.

In the node index, the next/prev/up directions may point to other nodes.
For example

  @node mynode, (gcc)

points to the gcc manual.

Float should also have a number pre-filled.  This is currently missing
in the XML output.  Also a label, if present.

All the references should, in my opinion, be resolved thanks to
information already present in the tree.

* nodes/anchors/floats: the label.

* index entry: index name and number in the index.

* image/blob: file name as identifier.

For the index entries I propose to have 2 informations available:

1. The list of sorted index entries, as already described in
'document-term sets'.  Two things should be changed for that list, in my
opinion.  First sorting should not be specified.  Thus, I think
that

  "The entries in each DTS is sorted alphabetically, case insensitively."

should be removed.  Second an index term can only happen in one node,
thus 'nid' should be

  "A node identifer in which term appears, may be empty if the entry do
   not appear in a node."

2. The second information is a list, for each index type, in order of
appearance, of the index entries containing the place of the index entry
in the sorted list described in 'document-term sets'.

So for example, if we have

@node Top

@cindex B
@cindex A

The first list is

(2 "r")
(("A") 0)
(("B") 0)

The second list is

(2 1)

Then to match an index entry in the document to an index entry in the
dts list, the index name and numbere in index is taken from the XML (in
fact the number is not there for now, but I'll add it).  The place in
the sorted list is found using the second list.  Then the index entry
number in the dts list is known.

Some things are still missing, but nothing very important.  For
instance, if there was some @raise/@lowersections, it should certainly
be in the sectioning tree.

@documentdescription should also certainly be in the xid.

Merged indices information is in the tree and I think that in some places
it could be specified that the index name is the index name the index
is merged to.

Also the @abbrev and @acronym may deserve their own index, to associate
to the explanation of the @abbrev / @acronym that appeared before.

--