Re: [help-texinfo] 15mm margin with @smallerbook

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] 15mm margin with @smallerbook
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 21:36:02 GMT

    I am wondering if there is a Tex command to specify a different
    textwidth only for the @contents pages?

Do you know TeX at all?  It would be a lot faster for you to look at
texinfo.tex than to wait around for me.  Believe it or not, I have
expended considerable effort on making the macros as readable as
possible :).

Anyway, in this case, there is already a parameter for this, namely
\contentsrightmargin, which decreases the line length.  See the
definition of \startcontents.  The default is 1in, thus,

@tex
\global\contentsrightmargin = 3in
@end tex
@contents

    Will this override the textwidth given in internalpagesizes for @contents?

As long as it's set after the internalpagesizes, it should.  I'd put it
right before the @contents.  Since nothing else uses it, there is no
need to reset it.

I haven't played with this in years, but that's what I see looking at
the code.  Let me know if problems.

best,
karl