[help-texinfo] Using install-info --remove

From: Niels Möller
Subject: [help-texinfo] Using install-info --remove
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:27:30 +0200

Hi,

in the uninstall target in my Makefile I use install-info --remove. This
fails if the dir file is missing. I'd prefer if uninstall succeeds even
if some files were never installed. My make rule (copied from a Makefile
generated by some version of automake) is:

uninstall-info:
        if (install-info --version && \
            install-info --version 2>&1 | sed 1q | grep -i -v debian)
>/dev/null 2>&1; then \
          install-info --info-dir="$(DESTDIR)$(infodir)" --remove
"$(DESTDIR)$(infodir)"/nettle.info ; \
        else : ; fi
        -rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(infodir)/nettle.info

Result:

$ make DESTDIR=/tmp/no-dir  uninstall-info
if (install-info --version && \
            install-info --version 2>&1 | sed 1q | grep -i -v debian)
>/dev/null 2>&1; then \
          install-info --info-dir="/tmp/no-dir/home/nisse/local/share/info"
--remove "/tmp/no-dir/home/nisse/local/share/info"/nettle.info ; \
        else : ; fi
This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
install-info: /tmp/no-dir/home/nisse/local/share/info/dir: could not read (No
such file or directory) and could not create (No such file or directory)
make: *** [uninstall-info] Error 1

Is there some way to tell install-info --remove to not care (a bit like
rm -f)? Or should I update the make rule to invoke install-info only if
the dir file exists?

And in any case, I don't think install-info --remove should ever attempt
to *create* a new dir file.

Regards,
/Niels