Re: [help-texinfo] Footnotes not navigable in standalone info on OpenBSD

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Footnotes not navigable in standalone info on OpenBSD
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 11:54:33 +0100

On 23 September 2015 at 09:54, Abu Unaysah <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 22 September 2015 at 13:13, Abu Unaysah <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > Why can't one navigate to the end-of-node footnotes in standalone info
>> > when one can do so without any problems in the info browser inside
>> > emacs?  Is this something peculiar to the info port of OpenBSD (5.7) ?
>>
>> How are you trying to navigate to the end of node footnotes? I.e. what
>> keys are you pressing to get there?
>>
>> If you scroll down to the bottom of a node with footnotes, the
>> footnotes should be there, so what's the problem?
>
> The footnotes are there alright, but one can't jump to them using the
> (parenthesized) footnote number hyperlinks as in emacs. In other words,
> the (parenthesized) footnote numbers are not recognised as
> cross-references as they are in emacs.

I didn't know that was a feature in emacs. It isn't in the emacs I
have installed, but that's Emacs 24.3, which isn't the latest version.
This hasn't ever been a feature in the info browser, except for files
that use separate nodes for footnotes.

There is a command M-C-f that shows the footnotes, C-x 1 makes them go
away again.

> Incidentally, the version of info that is installed here with OpenBSD
> 5.7 is 4.8.

That's quite old.