Re: [help-texinfo] Standalone info as a generic info processor?

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Standalone info as a generic info processor?
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 23:05:41 +0000

On 6 November 2016 at 22:31, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
>     >How does info know what qualifies as an index?
>     It looks for nodes with "index" in the name.
>
> Avoiding reliance on this string search was precisely why the whole
> address@hidden@^H] thing was invented, years and years ago. Oh well,
> whatever. -k

I don't know if the info reader ever did anything with this. I checked
the source code for Texinfo 4.13 and in the
"info_indices_of_file_buffer" function, it still checks if the string
"Index" occurs in the name of the node.

The downside of using this to find index nodes is that it would
require scanning every node in the file instead of just looking at the
nodes listed in the tag table.

It seems not to be much of a problem in practice.