Re: [help-texinfo] Using @table with @smalldisplay

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Using @table with @smalldisplay
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 16:42:18 +0000

On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 11:28:48PM +0100, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> Dear hackers,
>
> I want to create a table in small font, however when I use @smalldisplay or
> @smallformat, the description of each variable consists as though I am using
> @verbatim, where the output text of the environment is exactly as is (in the
> fixed-width font). Is there any way to solve this problem so the description
> looks like a paragraph?

Very likely not. Why do you want the table in a small font? Do you want
all tables in a small font or just some? The short answer is that
Texinfo doesn't have many commands for specifying details of formatting,
and those that do, like @smallformat, should probably never have been
invented in the first place.

Which output formats are you interested in? If it is HTML then maybe you
could do something with CSS. If it is PDF you are probably stuck. Maybe
you could convert to DocBook and do something with a DocBook stylesheet,
but I don't know much about that, I'm afraid. Maybe others have
suggestions.