Re: Customizing html file names

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: Customizing html file names
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 14:53:36 -0700

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 12:16 PM Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 11:50:12AM -0700, Raymond Toy wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 9:46 AM Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 07:18:45AM -0700, Raymond Toy wrote:
> > > For a while maxima has been customizing the html file names that makeinfo
> > > uses.  Basically, the file names are of the form maxima_nnn.html or
> > > maxima_toc.html for the table of contents.
> > >
> > > I would like to be able to change this so that the appendices or indices
> > > don't get a number.  Using the original names makeinfo would have used is
> > > fine.  I don't know how to do that, so some help would be appreciated.
> >
> > A new version, with a proper use of the API for the document_name, with
> > a version that is an update of the code you shown adapted to the current
> > API, and the other is a file that does what you want, if I understood
> > correctly.
> >

> Thank you very much for your help.  But I tried the maxima_file_names_old.pm
> and I get this error:
>
> makeinfo: warning: error loading
> /home/toy/src/sourceforge/maxima-code/doc/info/es/../texi2html.init:
> Undefined subroutine
> &Texinfo::Config::texinfo_register_file_id_setting_function called at
> /home/toy/src/sourceforge/maxima-code/doc/info/es/../texi2html.init line 42.
>
> I'm using texinfo 6.8.

The API I ported to is indeed the finished API from the development
version.  Previously, the API was not finished nor documented.  I do
not remember well how it was possible to do things like I did in the
file I sent, it is probably possible, but it is much less practical,
because of the lack of documentation (even for me...).  I would suggest
using the development version if you use the HTML customization allowed
by init files.  If you really can't, I could try to do something, but I
would suggest keeping the existing init files and not doing any change,
waiting for 6.9.

I just got people to agree to use 6.8, so forcing people to use the development version probably won't be received well. :-)  I do have a workaround now for what I want, which is to grep the html file for the titles.  It's just nice to have texinfo take care of these for me.

And for a bit of history, I think texinfo used to produce maxima_nnn.html until some version changed that to use more obvious file names.  That broke how maxima handled html files.  (I now don't remember exactly how.)

> In case it matters, texi2html.init also has this at the very top, before
> the code you provided:
>
> $options->{"EXTRA_HEAD"} = '<link rel="icon" href=""> > <script src="" href="https://polyfill.io/v3/polyfill.min.js?features=es6" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://polyfill.io/v3/polyfill.min.js?features=es6
> >"></script>';

Should become, with the finished API

set_from_init_file('EXTRA_HEAD', '<link rel="icon" href=""> <script src="" href="https://polyfill.io/v3/polyfill.min.js?features=es6" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://polyfill.io/v3/polyfill.min.js?features=es6
>"></script>');

That's nice!  I'm really looking forward to 6.9.  I've been following along a bit on the bugs list, and it looks pretty good.

--
Pat

--
Ray