howto-kickstart

[Howto-kickstart] help with 7.2 kickstart

From: David Caldwell
Subject: [Howto-kickstart] help with 7.2 kickstart
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:49:00 -0600

I have read everything I can find ( most outdated ) about this subject and have
even consulted with Red Hat about the issues I am having with kickstart.

Here is what I have, and need to be able to do.

I have a 16 node computational cluster and a server set up with RH7.2. We
already have a static IP network and nfs running on the cluster w/ gigabit
network between nodes and server. The configuration will be constantly changing
on the machines while we fine tune them to the level of performance we want, so
I want to be able to create a kickstart file from one machine and dupe the
others from this file.

What I need is the information to make the process fully automated (except for
the creation of the kickstart floppies of course) so that all that needs to be
done is pop in the floppy and hit the reboot button on the machine. Beyond what
is set up in ks.cfg we also need to turn on some things and copy over some
files we have on the server.

We need to turn on rsh, rlogin, rexec, and telnet ( I know of the security
risks here, but the machines are not connected outside the room they are
contained in and a small number of access users are on the machine (4)). We
need these fully working before the machine reboots, and would like to have the
machines create a new boot floppy from the ks floppy before finishing.

The things we cannot do at this point:
Cannot use dhcp at all. The machines that are computing are cpu and network
bound without the traffic from a dhcp server running (this includes the server
machine). We need to be able to make the ks static and have the info passe over
to the machine config before finish.

We have not had any luck so far with the configuration of a ks.cfg floppy so at
this point we cannot get passed the first hurdle.

Any assist is appreciated

David Caldwell
address@hidden
256.922.1512 ext 4027