hurd-devel

Re: Generated files in CVS

From: Roland McGrath
Subject: Re: Generated files in CVS
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 22:42:26 -0400 (EDT)

Most packages keep these files in the repository so that checkouts are
useful without having the right autoconf version installed and so forth.
It also makes cvs diff more useful to most people than without them, since
distributions always contain them and so cvs diff vs the tag made for that
particular distribution version gives you a patch that's as useful as
distributed patches normally are.

We won't be removing these.  If and when we switch hurd to using automake,
I think it will be appropriate to put the automake-generated files in the
repository, and finally put configure in too.  The only reason the hurd cvs
repository doesn't have configure already is that at some point in the past
Thomas insisted on being wrong about this issue and I didn't feel like
shouting as much as would have been required at the time.