hurdextras-hackers

Re: [Hurdextras-hackers] Users guide patch

From: James Morrison
Subject: Re: [Hurdextras-hackers] Users guide patch
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 17:17:28 -0800 (PST)

--- Tom Hart <address@hidden> wrote:
> James A Morrison wrote:
> >  Hey,
> >
> >   I've read through some more of the users guide.  It's looking good.
> Anyway,
> > here is a patch that cleans up the lines lengths and such.  I will also
> > start a changelog (C-x 4 a, in emacs) if/when this gets commited.
>
> Thanks. Your changes look good. =)
>
> Note to self: sizeof(Emacs window in 1280x1024 screen in X) != 80
> characters ;)

 Ok, I'm using emacs in a terminal.  column-number-mode will be useful if you
are in X and have a huge emacs window.

> >   Something documentors should read while documenting GNU projects is the
> > GNU Coding Standards[1], they do have a documentation section.
>
> Will do.
>
> >         * using_gnuhurd.texi (An Introduction to Texinfo): Point the reader
> >         to info info and info texinfo.
> >         (Basic CVS Usage): Pass the reader to info cvs.
>
> I agree with you to the extent that these should be referred to for
> further reference, but I think that a short intro is important. The size
> of the infrastructure of Free Software is large enough that I think an
> "Introduction to the System" manual such as this should give the reader
> enough information so that they can get by for the time being.
>
> For example, I think that it's reasonable for this manual to translate a
> line like
>
> cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/hurd login
>
> (From the Hurd Hacking Guide) into English. For further iformation...
> info cvs.
>
> Also, this manual may be downloaded by people who don't have a 24-7
> connection to the Internet, and don't yet have access to a working
> Unix-like system (which was me a year-and-a-half ago). So I'd like to
> add a brief intro to these sections.

 Ok, I'll let you add to these sections.  However, I will commit what I have
and you can leave the references at the end of those intro sections.

> --
>     /                                               |
>    /  Tom Hart                                      |
>   |   address@hidden                          |
>    \  "rmTFM - Build consistent interfaces."        |

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware
   2B
http://hurd.dyndns.org

Anyone referring to this as 'Open Source' shall be eaten by a GNU