hurdfr-paris

[Hurdfr-paris] ocean penance

From: Austin Wills
Subject: [Hurdfr-paris] ocean penance
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:00:24 -0300

In the end Apries rebelled, and departing fromSais, began to raid Egypt with his Greeks.
Soon that happened whichshe had foreseen. Nor are we, I answered with a start, at least in blood.
Tell me quickly that you do not wish me to marry. Let us to the deciphering of this oldpoem that tells us of dead days and beautiful forgotten folk.
The late good god whose throat wascut by butchers in a boat upon the Nile. But you are not angry,Ramose, and you have promised to protect me from those men. Do you think thatI wish to force you into marriage?
If you wish for quiet, fix your heart uponthe stars and leave the earth alone. Our thoughts leapt togethertowards an unknown end.
And do you desire to give her to some such stranger? Then I went in to tell my mother what had chanced.
Of that day of reunion after many years I need write no more. I answered it was true that I had been so honoured of the gods. Ramose, when we are alone, but Father as of old before others. Perchance a day may come, Myra, when you will learn to love someonebetter than you do me. I tell you, he addedsolemnly, that a curse and great desolation hang over Salamis.
Suddenly a figure appeared stopping my path and I sprang back, fearingthieves.
Now I would ask something else of you, but having received so great agift, this is not the time.
Is it true, Count Ramose, that Apis has appeared among your herds?
At length all was ready and the ship in which we must sail on themorrow, lay at anchor at the mole.
Was my mother thus anddid she ride among hosts of men clad in silver?
If you wish for quiet, fix your heart uponthe stars and leave the earth alone. Yet to me he is as a crocodile or a toad.
It was asthough I had come face to face with death.
Yes, Belus, and I pray that it may not be more than we wish to know.
Dream on ofher, Myra, and for the rest let it lie.
Soon that happened whichshe had foreseen.
Presently I met Belus and noting that he looked weary, asked him howhe fared.
She made no answer but taking me by the hand, led me to a window-placewhence she drew the curtain.
Is it true, Count Ramose, that Apis has appeared among your herds? Yet first I would say that I do remember something ofthe past of which Belus spoke.
I tell you, he addedsolemnly, that a curse and great desolation hang over Salamis.
If you wish for quiet, fix your heart uponthe stars and leave the earth alone. Our work done Myra rose and went upon a householderrand. So I told Belus what had chanced yonder at the farm whilehe watched the heavens.